Perrott Hill 8
Bartle Frere
is currently in prison, serving a twelve-year sentence for sexually molesting
boys. After becoming a British Airways pilot, Bartle Frere often travelled to
India and it was there that he started molesting children. Did Derek have any
idea that his nephew was a paedophile? I really do not think so. I do not think
that Bartle Frere started his crimes in the UK. It was only after he joined BA
that his trips to India gave him the opportunity to indulge his perversions. I
am glad that Derek was dead by the time Bartle’s crimes became public
knowledge.
Ex-BA Pilot Denies Child Sex Offences
Bartle Frere is
accused of abusing underage boys in India while working as a captain with BA,
as well two boys in the UK.
Monday 29 September 2014 15:38, UK
Frere is said to have used his job
with British Airways to meet young boys
A former British Airways pilot has denied committing sex offences
against underage boys in India and the UK.
Bartle Frere, who is accused of 25 sex charges, told his trial
at Bournemouth Crown Court he was "asexual" and had no interest
in sex with either men or women.
Asked whether he was interested sexually in young boys, the 50-year-old
said: "I've always had a low sex drive. It's never something I have
required or desired in my life.
"I find their company stimulating. I enjoy the banter you can have
with them.
"I also find young boys aesthetically pleasing to look at but I
don't find them sexually attractive in any way."
Frere worked for British Airways for 25 years before leaving in February
this year.
He was arrested in November last year after police found
pornographic videos and indecent pictures on his computer and children's
clothing in a bedroom drawer.
Investigations revealed Frere's regular social network contact with
teenage boys in India.
The defendant said that he took monthly British Airways flights to
Chennai in India, spending rest days visiting the nearby fishing village of
Nochi Kuppam.
He said he became friends with the villagers because of his passion for
photographing both children and adults and that he bought them clothes and
gifts.
He said: "If I was there for several days I might spend a couple of
hundred pounds, maybe less. I am in a position of being very well paid and
don't have to support a family - it's money I can afford."
Frere, of Abingdon, Oxfordshire, denies a total of 25 sex charges.
He is accused of five offences of arranging or facilitating the
commission of a child sex offence, which relates to his alleged conduct with
boys in India.
Against the first alleged victim in the UK, he is charged with five counts
of indecent assault; one count of indecency with a child and two charges of
buggery.
He also faces a charge of one count of sexual activity with a child and
one charge of attempting to record a person doing a private act in
relation to a second alleged victim in the UK.
The defendant also faces six charges of possessing indecent photographs
of a child and four charges of making indecent photographs of a child.
The trial continues.






PH-OB, just to set the record straight it wasn’t all beatings and other such abuses. In fact I experienced little of the former and none of the later.
ReplyDeleteThe pictures continue to fascinate me. It’s the background details that grab my attention. The first photo is taken outside of the Boot Room (in the New Block), on the steps leading to the Music Room. It’s the Summer term, but it must be cold as jumpers are worn.
ReplyDeleteThe picture of Nick C is taken outside of the Music Room by the sundial plinth. We never really knew what it was (a bird bath perhaps), but it was just big enough to hid behind when you were small.
ReplyDeleteThe gardening picture is an oddity. There were pupil gardens outside the Coates Building, but that was at the top of the slope on the flat ground, but these appear at the bottom of a slope. There may have been another area along the circular pathway with a garden, but my memories are very vague. I do recognize McNeil Sr in the centre.
ReplyDeleteOddly I think I can identify all the rooms in the school by the ceiling alone, especially the dorms. I spent so much time looking *up* that they are permanently engrained. I was talking to some other OBs about the dorm names a while ago, they were all named after WW2 Military commanders. We think we got just about all of them. I couldn’t imagine what they call them now.
ReplyDeleteI remember the top floor pretty well. There was a stationary cupboard (with the key left on top of the door frame), and next door a sort of spare room Mr Holden held The Shop, where you could buy farting ballons and polystyrene aeroplanes. Then came the French room, then was the huge English room, with Library attached. I think the Library was the only carpeted room on that side. The furniture couldn’t have been any less than 20 years old by the time you got there. I suspect other than the posters not much had changed in the classroom in 20 years. A random piano was pushed in there for the more musically inclined to practise during Rest. Oddly all the desks were empty, save a discarded scrap of blotting paper. But it must be said it was one of the better classrooms where everyone has there own desk, rather than squeezing together on a shared bench. The library was a godsend for borrowing books to read during the post lunch Rest period. Particular favourites included the Hal & Roger Adventures, Adrian Mole, Roald Dahl, and Supergran. It was however freezing in winter. The heating system was never all that good (notwithstanding it must have cost a fortune), the old bronze radiators would burn you if you touched them, but the room (and indeed the school) never seemed to warm up.
ReplyDeleteI’d be interested to hear what you think of the mandatory use of fountain pens. I’ve never picked one up since I left PH. It didn’t help me in the slightest, and in fact made it considerably harder to form letters. I didn’t have neat hand writing and regrettably never went on to be a Physician by trade! I was relieved when you did not insist on using cursive, my hand writing improved no end when I stopped that. I recall dictation lessons with you where I could not keep up, no matter how slowly you went.
ReplyDeleteMoving past the library there was a room that housed a model railway set, then the BBC B computers and finally I think it was the base for the Student Teacher to hold lessons for those cunning enough to opt of out Latin (another thing I haven’t touched since PH). A lot of the faces look very familiar, I’ll make sure Nick C gets his one.
ReplyDeleteThe preparation for the school picture was from 1984, judged from where I am in it. Health and Safety was a different beast back then, and boys standing on elevated platforms (and occasionally shuffling sideways) was just something that happened. Nowadays there would be a long and detailed Risk Assessment for Working at Height!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFountain pens! Does anyone actually use them in 2026? Not many, I would guess. The bad news is that many universities still insist on final examinations being written in ink and of course prep schools have to follow the lead given by the public schools. If public schools want the C.E. and scholarships exams to be done in ink, then prep schools do not have much choice, alas.
DeletePH-OB. For my sins I have been enrolled at four universities, and even managed to graduate from three of them! I can’t have sat much fewer than 100 exams and every one was written with a biro. I did wonder (and still do) if it was just for show.
ReplyDelete