Windlesham House 2
One good thing about teaching at Windlesham House School was that there was a certain amount of creative freedom for teachers to try out new and unusual educational ideas. When the
first computers started to arrive in schools, I suppose it was inevitable that
they were usually given to the Maths department. Well, if you think that a
computer is just a glorified electronic calculator, then this was more or less bound to happen, but it was also a big mistake. It meant that many Art, Music and
English teachers felt a bit left out of the I.T. world and there was the impression that computers are really just mathematical devices that have nothing to do with anything vaguely
arty or creative. At Perrott Hill, some BBC “B” computers arrived soon after I
did and, sure enough, the head of Maths, dear old Paddy Logan, was put in
charge of them.
At
Windlesham House School, computers were much more in evidence. Maybe WHS was a bit
too “trendy”, so any new scholastic fad was going to be popular, as it proved
how up-to-date and progressive the school really was. Craft, Design and
Technology was the educational flavour of the month, although there were those cynics
who claimed that CDT stood for “Can’t Draw for Toffee”.
It was while
I was at Windlesham that I became deeply interested in two aspects of
Information Technology, in an educational context: robots and desktop
publishing. At one point, I even thought seriously about going back to La
Sainte Union and doing an M. Sc. to do with computers and education.
At WHS, I
ran a robot-building club with a small group of boys. (Alas, none of the girls
seemed to be interested.) We started off with Fischertechnik (FT) and later we
moved on to Lego Technic. The FT is (or was) more advanced and allowed my
enthusiastic young robot builders to construct more varied and challenging
robots.
In case you
did not know, most kit-built robots consist of four main elements: the actual
robot (electric motors, sensors and the structural components), the interface (an
electrical box of tricks), a power source for the robot and the computer.
Building robots from re-usable kits is fun and quite challenging. Once you have built your robot, you have what can often be the difficult task of programming and controlling it from your computer.
You learn
quite a lot just from following the diagrams and instructions, but then you can
refine what you have made, adding extra bells and whistles. After you have
built a few robots, you can the start to design, build and program your own robotic creations.
Mostly we built a variety of robot arms, as well as a few cars, a walking man and a rather clever thing that was a bit like a flatbed scanner and it could draw simple pictures.
As well as
building robots with the boys and taking lots of photos, I also started writing
articles about how to use computers in schools. MAPE (Micros in Primary Education) published quite a few of my pieces
and I also managed to get a couple into Junior
Education. Not bad for an English teacher with no training or background in Information Technology!
Here are a few more (rather random) photos of my Robot Club at Windlesham.












Comments
Post a Comment