Perrott Hill 7

 
 
From my previous blog post, you may have received the incorrect impression that every boy at PHS was constantly being whacked with the cane or walloped with the gym shoe. Nothing could be further from the truth. Perrott Hill School was a happy place, for most of the children and for most of the time. Good, firm and consistent discipline was part of that happiness. 
 
 
As the name suggests, PHS was on a hill and that meant lovely views of the Somerset countryside. There were also the woods, the location for many of the boys' "dens", their camps that they spent many happy hours constructing. Derek and Lydia Hoare also had a special knack for encouraging and developing the talents of the less academic students. 
 
 
Mark Mabey, I remember, had the most dreadful spelling and perhaps he was not gifted academically. (His handwriting suggested a future medical career. ) However, the whole school came to the Grundy Hall to watch and enjoy his amazing puppet show. I recall that Vera Heade, the school secretary, was wonderful as the voice of the dragon. As Head of English, I was in charge of Arts Day, Perrott Hill's Eisteddfod that gave many pupils a chance to shine and "have a go".  
 
 
Then there were the ponies, to keep the girls happy, although they did not make the Head of English happy when they escaped from their paddock and trampled on the croquet lawn (the ponies, not the girls). 
 
Yes, in case you are wondering, I do miss Perrott Hill very much, even after more than forty years. 
 
 
My mother told me, when I informed her that I wanted a career in education, "Well, you won't earn much money." In some ways she was absolutely right, but when I look back at my old photos of Perrott Hill I think that I am one of the richest men on this planet.
 
 
Here are a few of the cards I received when I left PHS in 1986.
  



 

Comments

  1. Gosh, lots to unpack in here. Corporal punishment was being phased out when I was there, I must have been there when the last whack was given! In truth they weren't given frequently and the naughtiness threshold was fairly high. In their place a "Time Wasting Parade" was invented. In essence a bit of physical running and jumping and being late to meals. Even the staff didn't really know what to do. They really were a waste of time. We never understood what would happen if you were physically fit, presumably nothing much. On moving on in 89, I found the next Head to be profoundly against corporal punishment on moral grounds and was terribly relieved that the law forbade it. I suspect it lingered on a little longer (post the 1985 vote in the Commons) as so few (or even none) of the parents objected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DH could be odd with punishments. I remember there was some graffiti on a wall and he asked in front of the entire school who had done it. Years earlier I had written my name on the wall (I still don't know why), so I duly went to see him to say I did it. I could hardly deny it - it was my name! Anyway it turns out that wasn't what he was asking about, but he thanked me for my honesty. I left confused thinking, great so now I have to wait to be punished. Later he gathers the entire school and says as no one owned up everyone was to stay in the Grundy Hall for the entire afternoon...other than me. I never knew whether he had seen my name or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that you mention a career in medicine, one of the other pictures shows someone who actually did go on to be a Doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an old teacher's joke. Whenever your pupil has unreadable handwriting, you suggest that they might become a doctor.

      Delete
  4. I have a funny story about the Dennis brothers. My family went to Paris for a long weekend and walked down the Champs Elysees and lo and behold who was on the other side of the road Buchan and Magnus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture taken by the break bell outside the Art Room reminds me of the time when a deer jumped through the window, took a look around and then jumped out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The woods were another incredible addition. Half day Wednesdays and Fridays (I think that's right), plus the weekend building a camp, glorious old fashioned fun. I remember there being a hamstone "Summer House", not far behind the cricket pitches, I wonder whatever happened to that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The swimming pool was an extraordinary facility for a school so small. To go in the deep end you were required to demonstrate a good Two Lengths, and to jump from the diving board (a plank of wood wrapped in coconut string), Ten Lengths were needed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Whale of a Trip

Educaring, 2

On the Cards, Part 1