Perrott Hill 7

 
 
From my previous blog post, you may have received the incorrect impression that every boy at PHS was constantly being whacked with the cane or walloped with the gym shoe. Nothing could be further from the truth. Perrott Hill School was a happy place, for most of the children and for most of the time. Good, firm and consistent discipline was part of that happiness. 
 
 
As the name suggests, PHS was on a hill and that meant lovely views of the Somerset countryside. There were also the woods, the location for many of the boys' "dens". Derek and Lydia Hoare also had a special knack for encouraging and developing the talents of the less academic students. 
 
 
Mark Mabey, I remember, had the most dreadful spelling and perhaps he was not gifted academically, but the whole school came to the Grundy Hall to watch his amazing puppet show. I recall that Vera Heade, the school secretary, was wonderful as the voice of the dragon. 
 
 
Yes, in case you are wondering, I do miss Perrott Hill very much, even after more than forty years. My mother told me, when I informed her that I wanted a career in education, "Well, you won't earn much money." In some ways she was absolutely right, but when I look back at my old photos of Perrott Hill I think that I am one of the richest men on this planet.
 
 
Here are a few of the cards I received when I left PHS in 1986.
  



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Whale of a Trip

Educaring, 2

On the Cards, Part 1