La Sainte Union 2

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…” Well, if you know the beginning of A Tale of Two Cities, I will not bore you with all of the rather long opening sentence. My PGCE year certainly had its ups and downs. It was not a holiday, alternating between pretending to be a student (not too difficult), writing three long extended illustrated essays and Teaching Practice, aka the dreaded TP. However, it all started rather well.

Rufus was a lovely Red Setter/ Labrador cross. Well, that is what my parents seemed to think he was and they adored him. Rufus appeared in our lives quite by chance. I was walking home to our house in Alma Road and noticed a reddish coloured dog without a collar. He was very friendly and we all liked him immediately. We decided to adopt him or maybe it was the other way round.


In 1986, I still had my old Morris Traveller that I had acquired while I was at Perrott Hill, so Rufus and I could go for some more interesting walkies a bit further afield. Peter was a fellow-student on the PGCE course and he often accompanied Rufus and me on our trips into the Hampshire countryside.


  


Comments

  1. The world rowing is at Plovdiv of Bulgaria now. i watch the competion on TV this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perrott Hill Old Boy (PH-OB), I remember the car, and the dog he was a very school-mastery type of dog. And unlike Indiana Jones, my son is not named after a dog, but he is called Rufus!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Whale of a Trip

Educaring, 2

On the Cards, Part 1