Man At Work

On the other side of our garden wall there is about 1000 square metres of grass. As this our land, I have been dutifully keeping it tidy, mowing it and trimming it around the edges with my strimmer. That is why it is so annoying when people park there and usually they leave big dents in the ground.  

I have talked this problem over with Vincent, our next-door neighbour, and he has advised against doing anything. Reginald, the original owner of the property, decided to build a stone wall around the old well that is at one corner of the property. One night, a drunk chap drove his car into the well and Reginald had to pay for all of the car repairs! Yes, I know that it sounds absolutely crazy. However, this is Bulgaria and sometimes it is better to go with the flow.  


The other problem is that I just have too many things to do at the moment. My friend Adrian kindly lent me some scaffolding, so I have been using to repaint the wooden balcony. It takes absolutely blooming ages! I thought that putting up scaffolding was going to be really easy, whereas in fact it is a bit more complicated and time-consuming. Before I can paint the wood with old engine oil, I have to sand it down. Some parts can be reached with the scaffolding, but some bits can only be reached by going up onto the balcony.  

Well, it turns out that I am NOT going to Ukraine after all. Martin sent me a message to say no, he did not need so many drivers because he is only taking one minibus, not two.

Just in case I did not have enough to do, my dear sweet wife decided that we needed to buy some trees. There was a very old fence that had seen better days and this acted as a screen between the terrace and the house of our next-door neighbours. Anyway, I decided to scrap the fence and then Irena decided that we had to buy TEN trees to replace the fence. And guess who had the job of digging all the holes for the flipping trees? Yes, me. You guessed it first time. This morning, I had all of the aching muscles to prove it. 



Today I fell off the scaffolding and hurt my back. It is very painful, but thank God I am still alive.
It has now been four days since my accident. Sleeping in a chair and walking in slow motion are not much fun. Burping is agony. Although I am gradually recovering, it is difficult to guess when I will be back to normal. Another week? A month?

Comments

  1. Hope you're ok Simon! We have a saying in French we use when you hurt yourself while working: "c'est le métier qui rentre" I would translate as "this is the way your skills sink in"... Well done for the neat holes, impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On the Cards, Part 1

Hello once again, Peter

Educaring, Part 2