China closed?

Each week, I still receive e-mails from teachers around the world, asking me about what it is like to teach in international schools. Here is a recent one that gives me an excuse for including lots of photos of China.


Happy New Year from Co.Tyrone! I hope this email finds you, your wife and the dog well.

Alas, we are locked down again and remote learning is now the reality for the foreseeable future. Ireland actually has the highest percentage of Covid cases in the world now.

We are increasingly concerned about the news coming out of China and it seems there is a real chance we will not get into China in July. Currently no UK citizens or flights are allowed in. I have also read that dependent visas will not be issued even when things open up initially.


To say that we are concerned is an understatement and it is hard to predict next week, never mind six months into the future. Would it be naive not to look for a Plan B? 

Again, your advice is much appreciated.

And here is my reply.

AJ is a friend of mine, an American professor at a university in Shenzhen, and he recently returned to China. He had to do quarantine, but now he is back in SZ and teaching again.

My message is quite a simple one: DON'T PANIC! 

When my wife and I first arrived in China, we were there for about a week and then we were told that there was a problem with our visas. The Chinese Embassy in Doha had given us business visas! This meant that we had to return to Bulgaria and we did not get back to Shenzhen for another NINE WEEKS. We did finally get back to SZ and then we discovered that our freight was in Shanghai. Little problems like these do pop up from time to time, if you are an expat teacher.


My favourite story is about an interview I had for a very well-paid job in the ME. The only problem was that the arrangements with my flights and some other travel issues meant that I turned up late for the interview, absolutely exhausted and barely awake. I did not get the job, but a few months later the school in Tehran was ransacked by an angry mob and all of the staff had to run for their lives. They just got to the airport in time. 

Your school in China needs teachers, doesn't it? And they have given you contracts, haven't they? Not having enough teachers is a BIG problem for any school at the start of the academic year, especially when they have already gone to a lot of time and trouble to hire you. Well, then, you just have to be patient. All of my friends in China are saying that the situation is gradually returning to normal. 


If in doubt, why not contact the school's HR people and see what they say? Schools in China are pretty experienced when it comes to situations like these, so please stay calm. They will pull in some favours with local officials and get you over there. Remember that China is a HUGE and diverse country, so what is happening in Beijing might not be the same as what is going in Shanghai. Remember also that some teachers are "gloom and doom" merchants and so they like to stir up fears and worries.

Best wishes from a snowy Bulgaria,

Simon

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your email. This has offered some balance to what I have been reading online. It is a surreal experience living through a pandemic. Given that we are in lockdown, I am guilty of over thinking things and reading too much online. I will take a deep breath and stay calm. 

Equally, if I did secure another job in say Doha, there is no guarantee that they wouldn't have borders closed come August. In which case I would deserve my kick up the backside. 

Our contract begins July 1st, if we are not in the country are they obliged to pay you? I don't even know if that is possible. 

On a separate issue, the TES Community has been down for a while now. Do you have any idea when it will return? 

As always, your wisdom and experience is greatly appreciated. Enjoy the snow from a wet and windy Tyrone. 

Thank you.

This was my second reply.


I did not get paid for the nine weeks that we were away from China. Although it was a bit stressful, it was also quite nice to have an extra-long summer holiday. Sorting out our visas was my responsibility, so I suppose that I cannot blame the school. However, different schools will have different ways of doing things and, as I have said before, international schools certainly come in all shapes, sizes and flavours. Some schools might therefore be more understanding and generous than others, especially if you have done everything properly from your end.

I know that it is difficult, but you have to take a long-term view of things. A few little problems are to be expected when you have to adjust to a new country, as well as a new school and a new life! Read my blog again and then you will know that YES, it is worth it! But no, it will not always be easy and you would be fooling yourself if you were to think otherwise. I am sending you a few photos of the wonderful (and very cheap!) holiday we had in Yangshuo with our dear Chinese friends, Bill and Julia. Happy days! Instead of worrying about the problems, you should start thinking about the amazing food you are going to eat, the new friends you will make. and the huge and fascinating country of China that is waiting to be explored and experienced.

The COVID-19 situation is pretty bad here in Bulgaria, but my wife and I are living in our country house and so we rarely notice that there is a lockdown and a pandemic. The only bad news is that we shall have to buy some more firewood, as the woodshed is looking rather empty.

Simon

Dear Simon,

Thank you so much for the positivity and photographs. Jayne enjoyed them as much as I did. 

We all went for a lovely brisk walk in the cold today and cleared our heads. I think it is time to relax and not try to meet trouble halfway.

We are determined to teach internationally and trust it will happen some time, be that in China or somewhere else.

If China doesn’t work out we will dust ourselves down and try again. 

We are involved in online learning for the next 4 weeks at least and Covid numbers are going through the roof.

Good luck with the firewood. Nothing beats sitting by a wood burning fire.

Best wishes.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the Cards, Part 1

Hello once again, Peter

Educaring, Part 2