A Short Cut from Mushrooms

Yes, you should be very careful when you pick wild mushrooms, whether in Bulgaria or anywhere else. You should be even more careful when you cook and eat them.

They were very tasty, with a lot more flavour than the standard (and rather dull) ones you buy in the shops. 
About an hour or so after lunch, I started to have a bit of a tummy ache and then Irena came downstairs and she said that she had been sick. As you can imagine, this was not good news and I started to feel a bit worse. By about five o'clock, I had also started vomiting and Irena was in a very bad way, shaking and hardly able to stand up. The ambulance was pretty quick, considering that it came all of the way from Veliko Tarnovo. The medic who came with the ambulance driver seemed to know his stuff and straight away he gave us both an injection and some horrible black liquid to drink. It mostly seemed to be a mixture of charcoal and water. Irena went to the hospital in the ambulance, while I drove our car, at breakneck speed, along the country roads in the darkness. In some ways that was the worst part of the whole experience. Finally I arrived in VT and we went inside the hospital. After a few minutes, Irena arrived and we went into what was probably the out patient clinic. There we were each hooked up to drips and, after about two or three hours, we felt a bit better and the doctor said that we could go home. 
We finally arrived back in Daveri just before midnight. I did not get much sleep for the rest of the night, as I had many, many trips to the bathroom and yes, sometimes I did not get there in time. About two days later, my bowels started to function normally and I felt a lot better.
What would have happened if we had not received medical help? I think that it is quite possible that one or both of us could have died.
On a slightly more cheerful note, we are very pleased with our splendid new BOSCH cooker and our equally excellent BOSCH microwave, but I think that mushrooms will not be on the menu, for a while at least.
      

Comments

  1. 'The secret is to be very careful when collecting your wild mushrooms. Irena always tells me that each year, whole families in Russia are poisoned after eating the wrong species of mushrooms.'
    Famous last words...glad you're ok though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to know both of you are ok.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On the Cards, Part 1

Hello once again, Peter

Educaring, Part 2